Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Why Come Home to Malaysia?

"I hear the sounds, from the places where I was born"
Swedish House Mafia, Don't You Worry Child

When I learnt that I was going to the US for four years to make friends, party, learn to save the world and obtain a great education, one of the first advice that I get from most people is to find a job there and not to come back. With exactly that goal in mind, I made sure to get into a great university there, make lots of friends from places which are not Malaysian and lose all the lahs and ehs from my normal conversations. It worked for 3 years until I came back in the summer of 2011. I found an amazing internship opportunity in KL which at the time, I just thought of as an excellent way to meet new friends and party wtf.

But as the universe has a weird way of giving you what you want in ways that you did not ask for, it did. During that one little summer, I was reminded of all the reasons I loved this place so much to begin with. It all starts with the people... and then there is this list of things that I can think of that should make anyone who is thinking about returning return to the  
                                                                                                     motherland wtf.
                                                            
                                                            

 #1 Cheap good local food


#2 Places to eat for when you are feeling more pretentious

#3 It is not weird to camwhore in public

#4 There are beautiful maidens everywhere wtf
#5 And of course there's always family
#6 And mermaids..

#7 And weird warnings from our government


Of course, there is a lot more to think about, but right now I think I made the best decision. There has been a lot of change and a lot more in the process, and the most important thing is to build a circle of friends, and with that everywhere suddenly becomes more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment